Basic Policies for Use of the METRIC Magnetic Resonance Facility
- Users must follow the rules below for reservable time blocks on the instruments.#
- Daytime is from 8 AM to 7 PM. Nighttime runs from 7 PM to 8 AM.
- The 600 MHz instrument (Polk 50) is automated – note that the instrument prep time is ~5 min per sample,* which must be taken into consideration for the reservation, in addition to the requested data acquisition time. Users should reserve sufficient time for the instrument prep and data acquisition.
- Tubes must be removed from the autosamplers in a timely fashion. Tubes left at 4 pm two days after the sample was run will be removed and placed in a recycle bin. Users should make arrangements to pick up tubes in a timely fashion.
- Care should be taken with samples. If a user breaks a sample on the floor, they are responsible for cleanup, which may need to be coordinated with EHS.
- Violations of these policies will result in the following actions:
- 1st violation: User and PI will be notified of the violation and reminded of the MR facility’s policies.
- 2nd violation: User will lose self-access privileges for 1 week and must use sample submission to obtain MR data.
- 3rd violation: User will lose self-access privileges for no less than 6 months and must use sample submission to obtain MR data.
- In the event of damage to the MR equipment through misuse or negligence of a user, the user’s PI is responsible covering the cost of repairs.
# We are in the enviable position of an abundance of NMR instruments. If the available time on the 600 MHz instrument is insufficient, note that other quality instruments also are available.
*Auto-shim, auto-lock, auto-tune and temperature equilibration all contribute to the instrument prep time, and can be longer or shorter depending on the particular sample.