Need to complete a COI disclosure? Use our online COI system.
Have questions about COIs, disclosures, or management plans? These resources can help.
COI Policies & Regulations
Want to learn more about COI policies and regulations? Check out these resources.
Need to complete an NOI form? Use our online NOI system.
Need help with NOI, consulting, or external professional activities for pay? Start with these!
NOI Policies & Regulations
Want to learn more about NOI policies and regulations? Check out these resources.
A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation influenced by financial or personal considerations, circumstances, or relationships that may compromise, have the potential for compromising, or have the appearance of compromising an employee’s objectivity when performing research or other employment duties.
NC State endeavors to comply with UNC System, sponsor, state, and federal COI regulations by requiring certain employees to complete a COI disclosure annually. Filing a COI disclosure demonstrates your commitment to keeping your work free of bias. It is an important part of the process which ensures that individuals and the University avoid penalties for COI non-compliance and preserves trust in the University’s integrity and research findings while safeguarding support and funding for future research.
COI in the News
- Inside Higher Ed: Spouse’s Work Prompts Conflict of Interest Finding for A&M Provost
- Modern Healthcare: Safety journal blasts Denham in conflict of interest scandal
- Modern Healthcare: Patient-safety expert Denham will pay $1 million to settle kickback allegations
- NBC News: Harvard’s chemistry chair charged with lying about China contract
- The New York Times: Top Psychiatrist Didn’t Report Drug Makers’ Pay
- The Orange County Register: UC Irvine instructors urged to donate profits from textbook sales to avoid conflict of interest
- ProPublica: Medical Professors are Supposed to Share Their Outside Income With the University of California. But Many Don’t.
- ProPublica: Top Official at Memorial Sloan Kettering Resigns After Failing to Disclose Industry Ties
- ProPublica: We Asked Public Universities for Their Professors’ Conflicts of Interest — and Got the Runaround
- Science: Three percent of NIH grants involved a direct financial conflict of interest, watchdog report finds
- The United States Department of Justice: University of Kansas Researcher Indicted for Fraud for Failing to Disclose Conflict of Interest with Chinese University
- The Washington Post: Virginia Tech professor accused of scamming National Science Foundation
An external professional activity for pay (EPAP):
- is not included within one’s primary or secondary University employment duties
- is performed for any entity (public or private) other than the University
- is undertaken for compensation
- is based upon the employee’s professional knowledge, experience, and abilities
At NC State, any EHRA professional or faculty member intending to engage in an EPAP must file a Notice of Intent (NOI) form at least ten days prior to the activity’s start date. Filing an NOI form is a requirement that protects the individual and the University from conflicts of commitment, which occur when the pursuit of an external activity involves an investment of time that interferes with an employee’s work obligations. The University is also required to compile and report this information in aggregate to the UNC System on an annual basis.
- COI One Sheet
- NOI One Sheet
- List of COI & NOI Resources
- COI & NOI Reminders for NC State Employees and Their Start-Up Companies
- Undue Foreign Influence in Federally Funded Research Memo
- UNC Policy Manual 300.2.2 – Conflicts of Interest and Commitment Affecting Faculty and Non-Faculty EHRA Employees
- UNC Policy Manual 300.2.2.1[R] – Regulations on External Professional Activities for Pay by Faculty and EHRA Non-Faculty Employees
- UNC Policy Manual 300.2.2.2[R] – Regulations for Senior Academic and Administrative Officers on External Professional Activities for Pay and Honoraria
- How to Fill Out a Standard COI Disclosure
- How to Fill Out a PHS-Compliant COI Disclosure
- What is a Significant Financial Interest (SFI)?
- How to Fill Out an NOI Form
- Council on Governmental Relations (COGR) COI Resources
Research Compliance Administrator
For questions about COI policies, management plans, and NOI/EPAP.
Administrative Support Specialist
For questions about using the COI system or if you encounter an error that says the COI system does not recognize your Unity ID.
Director of Research Compliance