This page aims to (1) provide instructions about how to use the Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosure system to fill out and submit a COI disclosure and (2) troubleshoot issues you may encounter when working with the COI system.
If you have questions such as whether or not you need to complete a COI disclosure, when COI disclosures are due each year, and what information you need to disclose in your COI disclosure form, please visit the COI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for details and help.
How to Create and Submit a COI Disclosure
- Use your browser to navigate to the COI system. You may access it via this direct link to the COI system or by going to the SPARCS website, hovering your mouse over the Systems Portal heading, and clicking “COI.”
- Log in to the COI system using your Unity ID and password.
- Click “Create or Edit My Disclosure” from the main menu.
- This will open a new COI disclosure if you have not submitted one for the current disclosure period, which began on August 16, 2018 and will end on August 15, 2019.
- If you have started a COI disclosure for the current disclosure period but have not submitted it yet, your most recent un-submitted disclosure will be opened.
- If you have never previously filed a COI disclosure at NC State, a blank disclosure form will open automatically. Go to Step 6.
- If you have previously filed a COI disclosure at NC State, you will be presented with the option to “Copy data to a new disclosure” or “Use a new blank disclosure.”
- If nothing in your disclosure has changed from last year or you wish to review and revise information from your previous form, select “Copy data to new disclosure” and then click the “Go to new disclosure form” button. Doing this will copy all of the data from your most recently filed COI disclosure into a new COI disclosure form that you can file now. This feature has been included for your convenience. However, it is imperative that you closely review the information that was carried over and edit it as applicable to ensure that everything you are disclosing is still complete, accurate, and up to date.
- Otherwise, select “Use a new blank disclosure form” and then click the “Go to new disclosure form” button. This will open a new blank disclosure form.
- Read each question on the form carefully and select “Yes” or “No.” You will need to input additional information if you answer “Yes” to any question.
- Once you have completed your COI disclosure form and can affirm that all of the disclosed information is accurate and up to date, it is ready to submit. Scroll to the bottom of the form and click the “Approve and Route for Review” button to submit it. Your form will not be submitted until you click this button.
COI System Troubleshooting
Once you click the “Approve and Route for Review” button, you have certified that your COI disclosure is complete, accurate, and up to date to the best of your knowledge. If you did NOT claim to have any conflicts of interest, your form is simply recorded in the COI system. If your form indicates that you have one or more conflicts of interest, your disclosure is routed to the next level administrator (usually your college’s department head or dean) for review and approval.
If your COI disclosure requires next level approval (See question above; If you did not claim any COIs then your disclosure does not require additional review and approval), you will receive a message at every level of review. One of these messages will notify you when your COI disclosure has been finalized.
To review a previously submitted COI disclosure and/or check to see if your COI disclosure has been submitted:
- Log in to the COI system or return to the COI system main menu.
- Click on the option to “View Accessible COIs.”
- Select your name and click the “Get Disclosures” button.
- The next screen will display all of the COI disclosures you have started or submitted. You may review the contents of any disclosure by clicking the “Review” button next to it.
- COI disclosures that have NOT been successfully submitted yet or a disclosure that has been returned to you for further review (Returned COI disclosures require resubmission) will indicate they are “Pending employee’s certification.”
- Successfully submitted COI disclosures will appear in black. Successfully submitted COI disclosures that may require or have management plans will appear in red.
Mac users who encounter problems using the COI system are encouraged to use one of the following browsers: Firefox (best), Mozilla (best), or Netscape (good). Other browsers may operate slowly.
COI System Resources
- How to Fill Out a Standard COI Disclosure Video Tutorial
- How to Fill Out a Standard COI Disclosure PDF Guide
- How to Fill Out a PHS-Compliant COI Disclosure Video Tutorial
- How to Fill Out a PHS-Compliant COI Disclosure PDF Guide