This page aims to (1) provide instructions about how to use the Notice of Intent (NOI) system to fill out and submit an NOI form and (2) troubleshoot issues you may encounter when working with the NOI system.
If you have questions relating to NOIs and engaging in an External Professional Activity for Pay (EPAP), please visit the NOI Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for assistance.
For questions about consulting, please visit the Consulting FAQs page.
How to Create and Submit a Notice of Intent (NOI) Form
NOTE: NOI forms are not required of SHRA employees. SHRA employees must follow the University’s Secondary Employment Policy and should contact their HR representative if they have questions or need assistance.
- Use your browser to navigate to the NOI system. You may access it via this direct link to the NOI system or by going to the SPARCS website, hovering your mouse over the Systems Portal heading, and clicking “NOI.”
- Log in to the NOI system using your Unity ID and password.
- Click “Create New NOI” from the main menu.
- Fill out every field on the form as completely and accurately as possible.
- When you are ready to submit your form, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page and click the “Approve and Route for Review” button. If you do not click this button, your NOI form will not be submitted.
More Help Filling Out NOI Form
“Activity Details” Section
- REMINDER: The NOI reporting period runs from August 16th through August 15th of each year. The NOI form will NOT accept dates that do not fall within that year’s reporting time frame. If your activity spans beyond the current reporting period, you will need to create another NOI to cover it.
- When entering your working hours, please use whole numbers. Enter the number of hours you expect to work per week and the number of weeks you expect your EPAP to last. The system will automatically calculate the total number of hours for you.
“Missed Duties and Coverage” Section
- When you get to this section, click the “Add Duties and Arrangements” button.
- Enter your Duties Missed in the left box and your Arrangements to Cover in the right box. Then, click “Insert” to add them to your NOI form.
- “Duties Missed” is defined as any NCSU-related work, responsibilities, obligations, or commitments you have that may or will come into conflict with your External Professional Activity (or Activities) for Pay (EPAP).
- “Arrangements to Cover” is defined as the arrangements you have made to cover your Duties Missed while you are unable to attend to them due to your EPAP.
- If you do not have any Duties Missed, input “None” into the Duties Missed box and “N/A” into the Arrangements to Cover box.
- If you need to update something you have already entered, click the “Edit” button to the right of the field you would like to edit. When you’re finished, click the “Update” button.
- You must enter Duties Missed one at a time. To enter a second Duty Missed, click the “Add a Duty” button. Enter the information needed and click “Insert.”
- You can add as many Duties Missed as needed by replicating this method.
- You can delete something you have already entered by clicking the “Delete” button to the right of it.
- When you are ready to return to the main form, click the “Return to NOI Form” button.
“Resources and Conflicts of Interest” Section
- Answer “Yes” or “No” to each question in this section truthfully. If you answer “Yes” to any question, you may be asked to provide additional information.
- In order to submit your NOI form, you must confirm that you understand that ALL Intellectual Property (IP) you may create or co-create during this activity must be disclosed to the University in your Conflict of Interest (COI) disclosure. To confirm your understanding of this provision, answer “Yes” to the question “I understand that any and all Intellectual Property that I may create or co-create during this activity must be disclosed to the University.”
NOI System Troubleshooting
Once you click the “Approve and Route for Review” button, you have certified that your NOI form is complete, accurate, and up to date to the best of your knowledge. The NOI system records the form and routes it to the appropriate next level administrator (usually your college’s department head or dean) for review and approval.
You will receive a message at every level of review. One of these messages will notify you when your NOI form has been finalized.
To review a previously submitted NOI form and/or check to see if your NOI form has been submitted:
- Log in to the NOI system.
- On the main menu, click the option to “View Accessible NOIs.”
- Select your name and click the “Get NOIs” button.
The next screen will display all of the NOI forms you have started or submitted. Successfully submitted NOI forms will appear in black next to the date they were submitted. You may review any submitted NOI form by clicking the “Review” button to the right of it.