In considering whether or not a shipment to another country will require an export license, we need to consider both WHAT is being shipped and WHERE it is going.
The lists on this page deal with WHAT is being shipped. (See the lists of export controlled or embargoed countries for guidance about WHERE certain shipments may be sent.)
Items, Information and Software subject to US Export Control Laws and used in a university environment are generally categorized on the following two lists:
- US Munitions List (USML) – (ITAR)
- Commerce Control List (CCL) – (EAR)
In addition, under the provisions of the international Chemical Weapons Convention, the United States may require special declarations related to chemical shipments under either the ITAR or the EAR.
If you are shipping an item that you believe falls into a controlled category, use the links below to go to the regulations themselves or contact Richard Best, University Export Compliance Officer.
Published by the US State Department in its International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR): The ITAR addresses items, software and technologies that are primarily defense-related in application.
U.S. Munitions List:
(Link opens the State Department site; see Part 121)
- Category I: Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns
- Category II: Materials, Chemicals, Microorganisms, and Toxins
- Category III: Ammunition/Ordnance
- Category IV: Launch Vehicles, Guided Missiles, Ballistic Missiles, Rockets, Torpedoes, Bombs and Mines
- Category V: Explosives and Energetic Materials, Propellants, Incendiary Agents and Their Constituents
- Category VI: Vessels of War and Special Naval Equipment
- Category VII: Tanks and Military Vehicles
- Category VIII: Aircraft and Associated Equipment
- Category IX: Military Training Equipment
- Category X: Protective Personnel Equipment
- Category XI: Military Electronics
- Category XII: Fire Control, Range Finder, Optical and Guidance and Control Equipment
- Category XIII: Auxiliary Military Equipment
- Category XIV: Toxicological Agents, Including Chemical Agents, Biological Agents, and Associated Equipment
- Category XV: Spacecraft Systems and Associated Equipment
- Category XVI: Nuclear Weapons, Design and Testing Related Items
- Category XVII: Classified Articles, Technical Data and Defense Services Not Otherwise Enumerated
- Category XVIII: Directed Energy Weapons
- Category XX: Submersible Vessels, Oceanographic and Associated Equipment
Commerce Control List
Published by the US Commerce Department in its Export Administration Regulations (EAR). EAR addresses “dual use” items, information and software that are primarily commercial in nature but also have potential military applications.
Bureau of Industry and Security Commerce Control list
Export Administration Regulations (Link opens the Commerce Department site. Scroll to Part 774.)
Links below open the individual sections of the Commerce Control List.
- Category 0: Nuclear Materials, Facilities & Equipment (and Miscellaneous Items)
- Category 1: Materials, Chemicals, Microorganisms, and Toxins
- Category 2: Materials Processing
- Category 3: Electronics Design, Development and Production
- Category 4: Computers
- Category 5: (Part 1: Telecommunications, Part 2: Information Security)
- Category 6: Sensors and Lasers
- Category 7: Navigation and Avionics
- Category 8: Marine
- Category 9: Propulsion Systems, Space Vehicles and Related Equipment
If you have any question, please contact Richard Best: 919.515.0158, firstname.lastname@example.org