Occasionally it may be necessary to establish a Project ID (account number) before a sponsored agreement is finalized. When assured that a sponsored agreement is reasonably expected to materialize, a pre-award project number can be established for the purposes of beginning the process of recruitment of project employees, ordering of specialized equipment and supplies, and the like in preparation for the start of the project.
Steps to establish a pre-award project account:
The Department and Principal Investigator:
- Via e-mail, send any and all correspondence received from the sponsor that indicates eminent funding to your College Research Officer.
- Indicate the spending cap you would like placed on the pre-award project number.
- Acknowledge in the e-mail text that you understand that should a sponsored agreement not materialize, any expenditures you make against the pre-award project number will be the responsibility of the department.
The College Research or Business Officer
- Identify the pending project in RADAR and from the “Proposal” section of the project select the “Request a Preaward Account” button.
- Complete the three fields for your contact phone number, the spending cap, and the unit responsible for un-reimbursed expenditures.
- By clicking “Access to Proposal Documents” upload all correspondence you have indicating eminent funding is forthcoming.
- Supply the e-mail addresses of all those you wish to notify with a minimum of the department head, the principal investigator and the departmental book keeper.
Upon SPARCS’ receipt of the request for a pre-award account, a member of the Operations Team will review the pre-award request and correspondence.
Once everything is in order, Team Member will process the pre-award action in RADAR and forward the necessary package to Contracts & Grants for review and account set up.