External Professional Activities for Pay Notice of Intent (NOI) Online Help

For general information about consulting, please see the Consulting FAQs. If you have a question that is not answered in this documentation, call 919-515-4267 or submit an online information request.

Log into NOI

using your Unity id and your Unity password.

Why do I have to do this?

Engaging in external professional activities for pay is a privilege of serving in an EPA Professional or Faculty position. Board of Governor’s policy and NC State University regulation requires the prior-notification and approval by your supervisor (department head, dean, etc.).

What should I include on my notice of intent?

The notice of intent system will guide you through the questions necessary for your department head to consider and approve your external professional activity for pay. Generally, however, you must inform your supervisor of:

How will I know my NOI is routing and/or approved

Unless you have requested your access profile be modified to not send e-mail messages, you will receive a message at every level of review.

Do I need to update my Conflict of Interest form?

If the firm you propose to engage in external professional activities for pay is a private company, or any entity in which you have another relationship, you may need to disclose the nature of your relationship using the Conflict of Interest disclosure form. For advice on Conflict of Interest Policies and Procedures, please contact the Research Compliance Administrator, Jill Dale, 919-513-8141.

Can I have a Testing and Services Agreement (TSA) with a firm with which I am engaged in external professional activities for pay?

Technically speaking, NO. The rules governing TSAs clearly state the TSA is appropriate for work performed and where:

In general, it does not appear possible to “firewall” your external professional activities for pay engagement with a firm that is conducting business with a service center in which you are a principal (director, employee, participant, student or other affiliation). However, each case must be carefully considered by the department head and dean.