Goals and Objectives
The Office of Research and Innovation has developed five goals and corresponding objectives in order to achieve their mission and vision.
1. Be a catalyst for faculty engagement and research development
The Office of Research and Innovation is a driving force behind faculty success at NC State. We’re on the leading edge of new technology, and we offer a wide swath of resources to our community, including training opportunities, commercialization, proposal development and funding. From our Raleigh headquarters, we look toward the future as a leader not only in research but in greater service and higher education on a global scale.
- Identify, promote and build consensus with colleges, departments and units on near and long-term research opportunities and resources
- More fully engage faculty’s awareness of and participation in ORI’s services and programming
- Improve the productivity of the faculty by providing them with appropriate data, tools and resources
- Build new and connect existing research and scholarship communities within NC State’s faculty to expand opportunities
2. Foster an inclusive culture of excellence and continuous strategic improvement
As a preeminent technological research university, NC State promotes excellence in the laboratory, classroom and beyond. The Office of Research and Innovation will emphasize collecting and using data to determine key performance indicators and make advantageous decisions. With a heightened focus on diversity and inclusion in our workforce, we will ensure our office’s culture allows all researchers to succeed.
- Continue to build and invest in research infrastructure to support the growth of the research enterprise
- Use data to drive strategic decisions by establishing baseline metrics and key performance indicators
- Continue to build the division’s culture through talent recruitment and retention, training and recognition
- Focus on diversity and inclusion in recruitment, retention and day-to-day interaction and culture
- Measuring and improving customer service divisionwide
3. Leverage partnerships and collaborations to drive research and innovation
At the Office of Research and Innovation, solutions are limitless. That’s because we partner with public and private agencies to solve problems together. By working alongside government groups, global partners, internal collaborators, as well as private organizations, we open doors for impactful research opportunities.
- Increase federal government funding from DOD and NIH
- Increase funding from non-federal sources, gifts and industry partners
- Define measurable data outcomes to report partnership successes
- Develop relationships with new partners and deepen existing partnerships based on emerging research and innovation trends
- Pursue more international partnership opportunities
- Increase collaboration with internal partners
4. Translating and commercializing research discoveries for societal impact
Research commercialization has a direct impact on our society. At the Office of Research and Innovation, we know a diverse, supportive culture is necessary for our results to benefit as many people as possible. By facilitating the commercialization process for faculty and by recognizing the vital work our researchers accomplish, our office will foster the commercialization enterprise’s success.
- Increase faculty understanding and knowledge of research commercialization
- Advance the role of innovation and entrepreneurship in the tenure and promotion process
- Create standard operating procedures for research commercialization processes
- Increase the diversity of the participants in research commercialization with an emphasis on women
- Foster a more pervasive culture of valuing and celebrating entrepreneurship and commercializing research discoveries by faculty, students and staff
- Grow the invention and research awards and recognition program
5. Advance the university’s research brand and reputation
The Office of Research and Innovation is dedicated to NC State, its researchers and its partners. As such, we will promote our services and accomplishments to internal and external organizations alike. Through collaboration, marketing and our institutional knowledge, our office will enhance both the research enterprise and the university as a whole.
- Develop reputation as the choice university partner
- Better define and communicate our research and innovation strengths
- Develop a ten-year research and innovation areas of excellence vision
- More fully engage tenure track faculty by increasing ORI’s brand awareness
- Develop marketing strategies to improve global rankings