Skip to main content


NC State University faculty, staff and students routinely travel in support of sponsored activities. The university reimburses travelers for necessary and reasonable business expenses incurred while traveling. Reimbursable expenses must conform to university policy, federal and state law if applicable, and the restrictions placed upon sponsored awards.

Always provide justification for travel expenses. Sponsors often ask for expense details when they perform proposal cost analysis. Keep in mind that a lumpsum figure with no destinations and/or detail may hold up the award process. Please view the Budget Justification Template for more information.

  • In accordance with Uniform Guidance, §200.474, “Travel costs for transportation, lodging, subsistence, and related items incurred by employees who are in travel status on official business of the institution” … can be charged to sponsored awards “in accordance with the institution’s travel policy and practices consistently applied to all institutional travel activities.”
  • Travel incurred during the course of a project is allowable only during the project agreement’s period of performance.
  • Designate two travel subcategories, one for NC State employee travel and another for consultant or other non-employee travel.
  • Remember that federal awards often include a preference for the use of American-flagged air carriers (Delta, US Airways, American, etc.) and vessels.

Conference registration fees must be in direct support of a project, such as presenting a project’s results or gathering information in furtherance of a project’s outcome(s). All costs associated with the conference must be verifiable. The registration receipt and conference itinerary — detailing events and meals served — must be submitted to NC State. Travel and lodging to and from the conference must be supported with receipts as well. Per diem, unless otherwise noted, will be reimbursed at state rates.

Foreign Travel on Federal Awards: Federal regulations govern the use of federal funds (grants, contracts, cooperative agreements) and the selection of air carriers for foreign travel. Foreign-flag air carriers may not be used solely on the basis of costs.

Other helpful information can be found at the university’s Travel Center (Unity ID required) or on the Travel Requirements for University Employees page.