The Office of Research, Innovation and Economic Development is now accepting nominations for the Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award, which also includes membership into the NC State Research Leadership Academy (RLA).
The Research Leadership Academy promotes a culture of leadership in research, scholarship, and mentoring at NC State. The academy operates as the faculty-driven epicenter for the development and implementation of best practices in the empowerment of faculty at all levels and represents the varied knowledge, expertise, and backgrounds of NC State faculty.
Membership in the RLA is lifetime as long as the member is associated with NC State and agrees to a commitment of active service to the Academy for a minimum of three years. Members are expected to take an active role in promoting the research enterprise across campus by participating in activities such as seminars, research education programs, proposal reviews, and site visit red teams. New RLA members are also recipients of the Alumni Association Outstanding Research Award. The criteria for the award changed in 2016.
For 2017 awards, each college may submit four (4) names for consideration. In addition, the Vice Chancellor’s Office and the Provost’s Office may submit up to two (2) nominations from each office. Previous recipients of the Alumni Association’s Outstanding Research Award are eligible for nomination this year.
Nominations must be received in the office of the Vice Chancellor by Monday, February 27, 2017 (see below for nomination package criteria). Announcements will be made at the 2017 Faculty Awards and Mathews Medal Ceremony on April 26, 2017, at the Park Alumni Center.
The Vice Chancellor, as chair, will appoint a committee to select eight (8) names to put forward to the Alumni Association as recipients of the Outstanding Research Award and membership into the Research Leadership Academy. Committee members will consist of:
- The Vice Chancellor for Research, Innovation, and Economic Development, Chair
- Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Development
- URC Chair and Past-Chair (if not nominated in the current year)
- A representative from the Provost’s office
- Four current RLA members
- A letter of nomination from the Dean with justification for the nomination. Letter must be on letterhead with original signature. Maximum: 2 pages.
- A letter from the nominee to the selection committee summarizing your leadership and mentoring activities with pertinent evidence of the impact your research and scholarship has had in your discipline, to NC State (including students and colleagues), and to society. Examples of evidence may include awards, citations, grants, inventions, selected publications, service to the research community, student success stories, etc. Letter must be on departmental letterhead (first page only) with subsequent pages using ¾” margins in Arial 11 pt. or Times New Roman 12 pt. font; single spaced with appropriate paragraph and character spacing. Maximum: 5 pages.
- The nominee’s complete vita. No page limit.
- Four letters of reference – two from NC State associated sources and two from non-NC State associated sources. Letters must be on letterhead with contact information and original signature. Maximum: 3 pages each.