NC State University is a research powerhouse and a strong economic engine for North Carolina. The Office of Research Commercialization (ORC) protects and promotes university research discoveries and intellectual property, works with and guides industry partners and boosts the acceleration of startups. We’re driving economic growth by facilitating the commercialization of research discoveries.
How we can help you succeed
- We provide innovators with a wide range of programs and services to protect, market, and license intellectual property developed at NC State. Collaboration with NC State innovators and industry partners has led to the creation of more than 190 startups and 600 commercialized products that benefit society on a local, national and global scale.
- We work with industry partners to assess research for potential commercial success, seek those who can benefit from new technology and develop critical relationships to make the technology commercialization process work.
- We provide university entrepreneurs with assistance and resources to launch startups and scale businesses based on university innovations.
Consistently Ranked in the Top 5 for Research Commercialization
Among Universities Without a Medical School
- 170+ startups and spinoffs based on NC State research, attracting a total of $1.7 billion in venture capital.
- #3 nationwide for startups launched among universities without a medical school; #5 nationwide in licenses and options executed.
- 1,500+ patents issued in the U.S. and nearly 2,000 patents issued worldwide, yielding 600+ consumer products.
- The Wolfpack Investor Network (WIN) matches NC State alumni investors with promising university-affiliated startups to facilitate mentoring, support and angel investments for entrepreneurial businesses. WIN currently has 140 members, and WIN members have invested more than $13 million in 23 NC State startups.
- The George W. Bush Institute study on The Innovation Impact of U.S. Universities listed NC State as one of the top 20 universities for innovation impact.
- The Milken Institute, an economic think tank, cited the collaboration and innovation fostered by NC State — and particularly by Centennial Campus — as key reasons why Raleigh is the one of the top 10 best-performing large cities in the United States.
- NC State and its students, alumni and associated startups generate $6.5 billion of North Carolina income annually.