Startups Making a Difference
Creating impact is what we do. Our faculty and students are at the cutting edge of technological advancements, and we help to get their ideas and innovations into the market place. However, that is only the end result. The true spark of discovery is how these innovators unlock innovation from the very beginning. We tell their stories at all stages of their journey to show the true impact of what we can accomplish together.
NC State Spin-off TreeCo To Breed a Better Forest
A company founded by two NC State researchers is setting out to revolutionize the forestry industry by combining insights from tree genetics with the power of genome editing.
A Necessary Filter: Nonwovens Institute Steps Up to Combat COVID-19
Nonwovens Institute ramps up to create mask filters and masks for health care workers on the front lines of the coronavirus outbreak.
By the Numbers
- 170+ startups and spinoffs based on NC State research, attracting a total of $1.7 billion in venture capital.
- #2 nationwide for startups launched among universities without a medical school; #1 nationwide in active licenses and options.
- 1,500+ patents issued in the U.S. and nearly 2,000 patents issued worldwide, yielding 600+ consumer products.
- The Wolfpack Investor Network (WIN) matches NC State alumni investors with promising university-affiliated startups to facilitate mentoring, support and angel investments for entrepreneurial businesses. WIN currently has 140 members, and WIN members have invested more than $13 million in 23 NC State affiliated startups.
- The George W. Bush Institute study on The Innovation Impact of U.S. Universities listed NC State as one of the top 20 universities for innovation impact.
- The Milken Institute, an economic think tank, cited the collaboration and innovation fostered by NC State — and particularly by Centennial Campus — as key reasons why Raleigh is the one of the top 10 best-performing large cities in the United States.
- NC State and its students, alumni and associated startups generate $6.5 billion of North Carolina income annually.
Five Year Metrics
|Tangible Research Materials||0||1||0||6||3||4|
|New Patents Filed||186||181||229||241||264||292|
|U.S. Patents Issued||40||23||58||47||46||41|
|Foreign Patents Issued||42||24||12||16||28||34|
|Total Patents Issued||82||43||65||59||72||75|
|Tangible Research Materials License||2||3||1||2||3||0|
|Royalties ($ millions)||$7.5||$7.6||$3.8||$4.4||$5.3||$5.6|
|NEW VENTURE DEVELOPMENT|