Many University faculty, staff, graduate students and undergraduates are innovators at heart, inspired by discovery and a desire to make the world a better place. The Office of Research Commercialization staff provides NC State researchers with the tools they need to disclose intellectual property and help transfer research to the marketplace.

The Assistant Vice Chancellor for Office of Research Commercialization is available to respond to inquiries regarding University policy, licensing, new technology disclosures, and intellectual property issues. The Agreements Manager responds to questions about material transfer or confidentiality agreements. The Assistant Director for Business and Licensing Compliance can answer questions regarding license revenue distribution, agreement diligence, patent expenses and payments under agreements. You can also find your case manager by NC State department here.

Disclosure Forms

Submitting a disclosure form to the Office of Research Commercialization is the first step in moving research from the laboratory to the marketplace. University researchers must sign the signature page of all disclosures upon submittal.

Electronically submit an invention, software, copyright or plant disclosure here.

The disclosure portal is authenticated through UNITY, and will allow users to electronically create, sign, and submit disclosures for new inventions, software, plant varieties, and copyrighted works.

This portal is powered by KSS TechTracS® and has been optimized for Microsoft Internet Explorer® and Google Chrome®.

Template Agreements

The following template agreements are provided for informational purposes only. Office of Research Commercialization manages and negotiates all IP related contracts for the university community. Inventors may contact our office to initiate an IP related agreement at 919-515-7199. For MTA or CDA requests please email or for assistance.

Confidentiality & Material Transfer Agreements

The Office of Research Commercialization manages Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDA) and Material Transfer Agreements (MTA) on behalf of the University – agreements that protect the inventors and their research. If a University researcher wishes to discuss his or her work with someone outside of NC State or transfer materials, Office of Research Commercialization can prepare and execute a CDA or MTA. For MTA or CDA requests please email or for assistance.

MTA Routing Forms – In conjunction with any MTA request, the NCSU Researcher should complete and submit the below appropriate form for their case.

Patent Agreement

If you feel that you cannot sign the NC State Patent Policy please contact our office at and we will work with you to determine the appropriate agreement. In your email please provide answers to the appropriate questions below.

Questions for Students

Questions for Employees

Patent Agreement Forms

Consulting Policies

NC faculty members are encouraged to consult with business, industry and government entities. Such partnerships create win-win situations for all involved, and improve teaching and understanding. All consulting agreements are reviewed and approved at the department level. Any NC State employee should consult the following resources prior to executing a Consulting Agreement: