Research with Humans During COVID-19
We are still in the age of COVID-19 and, as such, the NC State IRB office provides guidance regarding research with human subjects that protects research participants, researchers, and the larger NC State community from COVID-19 risks. Please read Research in the Time of COVID-19. All proposed in-person research at this time is expected to follow the guidance, which is updated regularly. Please check the link before you submit your IRB application to ensure you are using the current guidance. Changes in requirements or procedures that must be noted in the submission will be highlighted. You may also notice unhighlighted language changes for clarity based on researchers’ previous questions.
Please also remain up to date with NC State University Guidance on Coronavirus, Office of Research and Innovation’s COVID-19 Research Continuity page, and guidance from the CDC and the WHO. And if your study is sponsored by NSF or NIH, please follow their guidance in addition to the NC State guidance.
Virtual IRB Workshops offered through the NC State University Libraries
The IRB workshops offered through the NC State University Libraries for the Fall 2021 semester will be:
- IRB Basics: Part 1 – IRB History, Operations, and eIRB Application Overview
- Tuesday, August 24th: 9am to Noon
- Monday, September 13th: 6pm to 9pm
- Friday, October 1st: 1pm to 4pm
- Thursday, October 21st: 6pm to 9pm
- Wednesday, November 3rd: 1pm to 4pm
- IRB Basics: Part 2 – Risks, Benefits, and Data Management in Research and more of the eIRB Application
- Thursday, August 26th: 9am to Noon
- Tuesday, September 14th: 6pm to 9pm
- Monday, October 25th: 9am to Noon
- Tuesday, November 9th: 6pm to 9pm
- The IRB and Qualitative Research
- Friday, September 10th: 1pm to 4pm
- Tuesday, October 19th: 10am to 1pm
- Using Secondary Data in Research Including Online Spaces and Social Media – REVISED COURSE!
- Wednesday, September 1st: 2pm – 4:30pm
- Tuesday, October 12th: 11am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, November 4th: 10am to 12:30pm
- Survey Research and the IRB – NEW COURSE!
- Wednesday, September 29th: 1pm to 3pm
- Thursday, October 7th: 3pm to 5pm
- When Research and Evaluation/Assessment Practices Overlap – REVISED COURSE!
- Friday, September 3rd: 10am to 11:30am
- Thursday, October 14th: 5:30pm to 7pm
- Device Research and the FDA – NEW COURSE!
- Thursday, September 23rd: 3pm to 5pm
- Monday, November 1st: 10am to Noon
- Using Apps, Software, and Wearables in Human Subjects Research – REVISED COURSE!
- Tuesday, September 14th: 11am to 2pm
- Wednesday, October 27th: 2pm to 5pm
- IRB Process and IT Professionals at NC State University (must be an NCSU IT professional to enroll)
- Wednesday, October 13th: 10am to 11:30am
- Human Subjects Research and the Department of Defense (DoD)
- This is an asynchronous, self-directed online training – register through REPORTER and email email@example.com after you complete the training if you want a certificate.
Please register on REPORTER to enroll or “watch” for IRB workshops listed above that you are interested in taking but haven’t yet opened for enrollment. Watching an IRB workshop means that you will be notified via email by REPORTER when a new workshop session is scheduled and open for enrollment.
The workshops are exclusively online for the Fall 2021 semester due to COVID-19. We strive to make all workshops accessible but/and if there are accommodations that would improve your experience at one of the IRB workshops you’ve registered for, please contact the IRB office and the Disability Resource Office at NC State University in advance so that we can work together to meet your access needs.IRB Workshops in REPORTER
IRB Drop-In Virtual Office Hours
Have questions about an IRB application you’re working on submitting? The NC State IRB is now offering virtual office hours on Zoom where you’ll be able to meet with IRB staff individually, discuss any questions you have, and receive targeted guidance for your protocol in the process. All sessions are first-come, first-served with a meeting waiting room enabled to facilitate the process. There is often a wait to meet with IRB staff during office hours.
Upcoming office hours will be held:
- Thursday, October 7th, 2021 from 10:30am to 1:30pm
- Monday, October 18th, 2021 from 10:30am to 1:30pm
- Thursday, November 4th, 2021 from 10:30am to 1:30pm
- Monday, November 15th, 2021 from 9am to Noon
There is a passcode to enter IRB office hours Zoom meetings.
Get Meeting Passcode