- To make your report completely anonymously, please go to ethicspoint.com or call 1.844.599.8786. Please note that if you use this method to make your report, the IACUC office will not be able to contact you for an update on the outcome of our investigation because we will not have your contact information.
- Contact the Office of Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee at 919.515.7507 or via email email@example.com or Campus Box 7514.
- Contact University Attending Veterinarian or the Veterinarian on call, 919.513.6656 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org or Campus Box 8401.
In your report, provide the following:
- Description of the incident
- Whether you witnessed the incident yourself
- When the incident occurred (i.e., time and date)
- The animal facility or principal investigator (PI) laboratory in which the incident occurred (i.e., building name and room number and/or name of PI)
- Whether you reported the incident to anyone else, and if so, when and what action was taken
- Name of complainant and phone number or email (optional)
- Any other information may be helpful
If you report to the IACUC office or the university attending veterinarian, to the extent that it is possible, the university will preserve your anonymity. It is helpful for the IACUC to have as much information as possible in order to conduct a thorough investigation.
The USDA Animal Welfare Regulations and North Carolina law provide specific protection for employees, IACUC members or laboratory personnel against discrimination or other reprisals for reporting violations of the Animal Welfare Act. (i.e., whistleblower protection).
- NC State Animal Care and Use Policy
- Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care (AAALAC)
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals
- Guide for the Care and Use of Agriculture Animals in Research and Teaching
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- AVMA Euthanasia Guidelines
- Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals
- RED System Training: Animal Care and Use Module
- Guideline for Blanket Protocols
- Veterinary Verification and Consultation (VVC) Reviews
- Administrative Review Procedures
- Review Procedures for Significant Changes in an Approved Protocol
- Protocol and Amendment Review
- Procedure for Semiannual Facility Inspections
- Animal Welfare Concerns and Noncompliance Situations
- Guidance on Activities Requiring IACUC Approval
- New in 2021: NC State IACUC Policy on the Use of Restraint in Vertebrate Animal Studies
- NC State Policy on Use of Non-pharmaceutical-grade Compounds in Live Vertebrate Animals
- Needs for Prospective Clinical Studies Using Client Owned Animals
- Tumor burden and appropriate time for euthanasia in animals
- Policy for Disposition of Research and Teaching Animals
- Procedures for Decapitation as a Means of Euthanasia for Mice and Rats
- Tracking of Approval and Approved Animal Numbers
- Guidance on Power Analysis for Determination of Total Number of Animals
- Occupational Health and Safety Program for Personnel with Animal Contact
- Required Health/Medical Record Keeping for Research and Teaching Animals
- Intra- and Postoperative Monitoring and Required Record Keeping for Surgery and Anesthesia
- Guidelines for major survival surgery performed on animals used in research, teaching, or testing
IACUC Protocol Questions?
Have questions about an IACUC protocol application you’re working on or questions related to the RED system? The IACUC office is available at 919.515.7507 or email@example.com. We are happy to guide you through the process and can schedule a Zoom meeting to share screens.