Skip to main content

Traveling Internationally / Attending Conferences

When you travel internationally, there are both export control and security related issues you should consider before you leave.

What to Know About International Travel and Conferences

  • Anything you take out of the U.S. is an export, including data on laptops and cell phones, and is subject to US export control regulations.
  • Items subject to the EAR, depending on where they fall on the Commerce Control List (CCL), may require a license or an applicable License exception. See EAR Temporary License Exceptions  for more information.
  • You must have a license to take defense articles or technical data subject to the ITAR out of the United States.
  • Without an ITAR license, providing technical data about defense articles at international conferences is an export control violation.
  • Accessing controlled technical data or technology remotely from a foreign country can also be an export control violation. If you expect to need to do this while abroad, contact the Export Controls team to create an action plan.

Before You Travel Abroad

  • Determine if the items you are bringing with you qualify for a license exception
  • Remove any controlled technical data or technology from your electronic devices (For security purposes, consider removing any unpublished research data from your devices)
  • Remember that US Customs and foreign customs agents may be authorized to search and retain electronic devices without probable cause.
  • Contact the Export Controls Office prior to traveling to a country/region subject to U.S. Comprehensive Sanctions

NC State Travel Review and Approval

NC Travelers traveling abroad should submit an international travel authorization prior to travel. The request process will help to guide you through potential export control considerations specific to your travel plans.

  • For travel to countries/regions subject to U.S. Comprehensive Sanctions – NC State’s Export Control Office will review the travel request and will reach out directly to the traveler to provide additional guidance.
    • Note: Travel to such countries/regions requires approval from the Department Head, the Export Control Office, and could require a license from the Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC). If an OFAC license is required, the Export Control Office will coordinate the application process, however, there is no guarantee that a license will be approved or issued within a specific timeframe.
  • The Export Control Office will review export licensing requirements for any university-owned samples, equipment, software, or technology the traveler has identified intentions to hand-carry or ship separately to their foreign destination (excluding commercially available laptops, tablets, and/or cell phones/devices with standard commercially-available software). Most commercial laptop/cell phones do not require an export license to non-sanctioned countries.

Tips for Presenting at International Conferences

  • Be careful of what you say during Q&A sessions or in conversations. Providing any information about the design, development, engineering, manufacture, production, assembly, testing, repair, maintenance, modification, operation, demilitarization, destruction, processing, or use of defense articles is an export control violation.
  • In presentations at conferences, stay within the realm of published material if possible.
  • Be wary of thumb drives and other portable media you may be given at international conferences. Malware can be introduced into your devices by USB flash drives.

U.S. State Department’s Travel Advisories and Country Specific Information

Consolidated list of all country locations and the applicable travel advisories, maintained by the U.S. Department of State. Information includes:

  • U.S. embassies and consulates,
  • entry and exit and visa requirements,
  • Health and safety and,
  • Local Law and Customs.