Skip to main content

Conducting Research Outside the United States

Research and engagement conducted abroad often presents unique opportunities and challenges. If your proposed work will take you abroad for extended effort, please contact the Export Controls Office for assistance.

What You Need to Know

  • Whether you take equipment with you or ship equipment separately, you are exporting that equipment and must consider the Export Control Regulations.
    • If a License Exception doesn’t apply, or if the equipment you are planning on taking is subject to the ITAR, a license may be required. Contact the Export Controls Office immediately. Note that Export Control Licenses can take 30-90 days or longer, so be sure to initiate this process well in advance of the export.

Conducting research in countries/regions subject to US comprehensive sanctions presents greater compliance challenges. Allow for extra review and licensing time.